Sunday, November 18, 2012

Spongebob, The Magic Conch Shell, and God

Let me first state I am a Christian. I believe in God. But as I looked at the episode on tv this morning, I see how people could look at how I believe in God and how crazy it is like Spongebob and Patrick beliving in the magic conch.

If you haven't seen the episode you probably have no idea what I'm talking about. Spongebob and Patrick would ask this magic conch questions and depending on what the answer was, they would or would not do things according to it.

I am a Christian. I believe in God. But as I looked at the episode I see how people could look at what Patrick and Spongebob believed and think they were off their rocker (which is what Squidward believed). They said the magic conch gave them food when it was indeed an airplane dropping the load it was carrying at that exact moment. There was an instant where I believe the ranger that found them said, "The magic conch sent me" or something like that.

We as Christians truly believe in our God. We believe He hears our prayers, clothes us, provides for us...our jobs, healing, most facets of our lives.

As I was standing in the kitchen, I saw the absurdity. I saw the "foolishness" of my beliefs. Could I say I had a moment of doubt, hmm maybe a twinkling. And then I looked back. I looked back at the moments He revealed Himself to me. Not just to the "feelings" or the untouchable.

BUT to when He actually tried to change the course of my life. The day I had a voice (in my head, like a thought) telling me to close the window. It was so insistent I finally had to say out loud "L:eave me alone, there is only one window in the house open, it is hot in here and I am not closing it". Little did I know, as a young Christian, that that was the Holy Spirit's voice.

THAT NIGHT an intruder entered our home through that window.

Or the time years later (you think I would have learned) when that little voice was telling me to lock my car door. I had my hands full of groceries. I reasoned my way not to. That night all the cars were broken into in the neighborhood.

I could go on and on with examples of warnings or prompts to pray, or even greater, Answered Prayer...most times answered in the way I hadn't imagined.

It truly is about relationship. This belief. This Christianity. AND it isn't about what God does for me or can give to me but a greater thing. This relationship. This love I have searched for my whole life, in all the wrong places most of it. The feeling that no man or material possession could fill up the hole that was inside of me until I found Jesus.

I often wonder why people don't take a chance. They buy a lottery ticket even though it costs them. They take a chance on love, a job...all sorts of things that cost them so much financially or personally.

I asked the Lord into my heart as a teenager watching Pat Robertson on TV. I didn't know all the places it would lead me and how Jesus would reveal Himself to me personally through the Holy Spirit, which is our "deposit" until He returns.

Take a chance. Ask Jesus into your heart. You doubt Him revealing Himself? Well, it won't cost you anything. Just maybe your pride when He proves Himself very much alive and real.

I have posted the Sinner's prayer below if anyone would like to take a chance on Love.

“Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment