Monday, December 16, 2013

Santa, You Sit On a Throne of Lies

"I see Rudolph in there," the doctor said as she peered into my youngest son's right ear."

"I don't believe in Santa." He stated matter-of-factly.

This was news to me.

I have always skirted the issue of Santa Claus. I would nod and smile, not verbally reinforcing the issue. Sure, he came to the house Christmas Eve. But I tried not to perpetuate the lie. It hadn't so much worked for us over the years.

Yet, every Christmas eve my husband and children would check on Santa on the Norad Santa Tracker. Also, "The Night Before Christmas" was read before bed. And of course, many of the movie favorites we played year after year were Santa-centered.

This year will be different. Santa isn't coming to our house. Having fallen behind on several things, we're struggling to keep up with day to day bills and pay our mortgage.

It's a week before Christmas and no presents have been bought.

My Christmas miracle won't come in the form of Santa. And right now, all I can feel in that regard is that I've stolen something away from my children and from God in perpetuating a lie their entire childhood.

Miracles aren't dressed in a red suit and they don't have a stomach that shakes like a bowl full of jelly.

Christmas isn't about gifts from some imaginary elf who sits on a throne in the north pole.

In our home, we've always told the kids it's Jesus' birthday celebration. But how much have I taken away from that experience by adding this myth or legend to my children's existence these past 8, 10, 12, 16 years (we have five sons).

Santa only brought two gifts and a stocking to my kids each year anyways, right? So what's the big deal? I mean...it's not like it broke the bank. 

If I had it all to do over again...I wouldn't lie to my kids. I wouldn't build up some guy in a red suit who doesn't exist. I wouldn't create warm and fuzzy memories around a lie.

I'm a Christian, yet I've pulled the carpet out from under them slowly over the years, not focusing on the true reason for the season (for us).

When Christmas morning comes in our house, I really don't know what's going to be under the tree for our children yet. I'm still waiting for that miracle in many regards.

Yet, part of me is relieved. The lie is over. Between now and then, I'm going to have a talk about Santa with my younger kids and although they know about Jesus and he's a part of our daily lives...we're going to read about the real "First Christmas" in the bible.

We're going to talk about gifts and the "greatest gift" ever given. That's what I want to perpetuate this year.

It's time to start putting "the Word" into our kids instead of "the World".



6 comments:

  1. My husband and I grew up on polar opposites with the Santa issue. (Pardon the pun). My husband's family did Santa hard-core when he was growing up, having family members actually dress up and visit him and his brother as Santa, and he harbors no bad feelings of being lied to as a child. My family was pretty much anti-Santa, and I was the first grader telling everyone else that Santa was a fake, and I have no ill feelings toward my parents either. I think when you're a kid, so many things are fictional or imaginary that you sort it all out as an adolescent anyway, so it doesn't do much harm for kids to believe in imaginary things. That being said, I commend you for deciding to not perpetuate the "Santa lie" anymore. We're not planning on pretending Santa is real with our toddler, but we will treat him as a cartoon character on TV or a fictional character like unicorns and leprechauns. Santa stories should still be fun, even if he knows that they are made up and just for pretending- like a lot of things in childhood.
    I pray you get your miracle this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Valerie, for the dual perspective. I don't know if this will be an area I always regret how I handled or not. I feel like maybe I've helped put Santa on his own throne in my kid's hearts, which should have been reserved for the One who deserves to be there. Time will tell, I guess. Thanks for comment and for the prayers. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We never taught our daughter Santa exists. In fact, told her he was a nice story. I have no regrets about that. God is our provider and Jesus, the reason for the season. Blessings to you, my sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've never done Santa (for oh so many reasons). We told them about how the myth got started with St. Nicolas, but that the modern day Santa is no more real than Micky Mouse. Fun to watch on T.V. but he certainly doesn't bring them toys or visit our house. Christmas is about the celebration of Christ's birth - and that's enough.

    I'm sorry you've fallen behind. We were there a few months back and I know how hard it is. We're finally on our feet but its certainly not something I'll soon forget. God taught me a lot during that time about His faithfulness. Sometimes we only made it through the week because our women's Bible study had food left over that I took home and used to feed our family. But He was faithful. Praying that He continually shows you His blessings and mercy this holiday season and ever after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing! I'm glad you all are on the road back. We are too. Today has included a few miracles and we are blessed. God always provides, most times it is to touch hearts to bless others. I pray God uses us in a similar fashion now and when we can afford to be more generous in teh future monetarily. Merry Christmas!

      Delete