Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Blind Faith

I thought I knew a lot about faith. I've leaned on God over the years more often than any human should have to, which as it turns out is a common theme for most Christians.

It's been 14 years since that night, the one that when I think about still makes my heart skip and my breathing become shallow. The night someone came in our home when my husband was at work and assaulted and tried to suffocate me, leaving with threats of harm to me and my children.

The day after, I shared the local news headlines with John Kennedy, Jr ... his plane had gone down off Cape Cod that same night.

So while the world mourned him, my life had been forever changed. I've tried not to dwell there. God knows the struggles and even how I walked away from him for a year.

So it is with this blind faith, I went into being home alone with my three youngest children recently, my husband away on business. I'm normally okay, but fear had been dogging my steps for over two weeks. It clutched at my heart with every loud noise, making me shake my head and wonder why it was back.

The AC out and with 100 degree days, our windows were stuffed with fans, the noise a constant drone over the top of all things familial. Then it was night. And I couldn't hear the creaks and groans of the house over the whirring. I lay in bed with an ax of my husbands underneath it "just in case".

It is in these moments I learned a few things about blind faith.

1.

Our minds can create something out of nothing. Rationale does not always work. Feeding the imagination with what-ifs and analyzing every noise only produces more worries and fear. Trusting in God's care, even in the face of death, it comes down to faith.

Is it real or imagined?

Do I trust God for my ULTIMATE care, even unto death? Do I believe He's asleep or I'm not worth the effort? Whatever our experience with man is, if we know God's Word and stay close to Him through it and prayer, we know His CHARACTER. The bible says He is faithful. He does not faint or grow weary. He is love. There is no darkness in Him. He is a shield for those who take refuge in Him.

2.

Taking our eyes from God to look at circumstances and fearful things in the natural is human, but continual correction to look UP to Him for our provision and care is necessary for survival. Yes, necessary. If I am in the lion's den or about to be cast into the fiery furnace, I will trust God with my life because He loves me and is trustworthy.

So here I am at 2:30 in the morning. I woke up by nothing in particular. But sounds are masked. In my mind, I can conjure up men inside breaking into the house. But I rebuke those thoughts and instead of feeding into them, I pray and trust God. Could I get up and go look? Sure I could and if I heard a REAL noise, I would decide what was wiser. I would pray for wisdom. Say it was a person. What would I do?
Similarly (and I don't use this word lightly), what if it were bills mounting, a job lost, a sick spouse with a dim prognosis? What would I do?

3.

Psalm 16:9 
A man’s heart plans his way,
But the Lord directs his steps.

Psalm 19:21  
There are many plans in a man’s heart,
Nevertheless the Lord’s counsel—that will stand.

Psalm 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

Later in Psalm 3 it says:  

Then you will walk safely in your way,
And your foot will not stumble.
When you lie down, you will not be afraid;
Yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet.
Do not be afraid of sudden terror,
Nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes;
For the Lord will be your confidence,
And will keep your foot from being caught.

What does the THEN reference? God's wisdom. How can we walk in it when we entertain fear, dabble in it, wrap it around every notion of tomorrow or ten minutes from now that cripples us? 

4.

We must be confident, as we come to know God's character by staying close to Him, that He will prevail. His plans will not be thwarted. Do you trust Him? If not, turn your eyes and heart back. Run to His side. Spend some time with Him in His word and prayer. Most of us won't find our answers on Facebook, Twitter, or even in another's opinions. Try asking God. Even satan must ask God for permission to hinder and sift us.

5. 

When our faulty choices lead us down the wrong path, we can trust God to gently correct us and if we don't get a clue, to correct us further. 

BLIND FAITH is trusting in God because of His character and our relationship with Him.
A Call to Christ

If you know Jesus Christ, and love Him ... if you receive His free gift of salvation, and repent of your sins, you will find the hope that seems so elusive. You will even find joy in the midst of all the grieving, loss, and fearful circumstances that many are already suffering. But most importantly, you will secure your future. Your eternal future. Stay close to Jesus, keep your eyes on Him, and you will be alright. Even if you die, you will live.

credit: Mikayla Kayne for the last paragraph in this article

2 comments:

  1. I lost my mom on March 11,2014....she died right in front of me....for months I was a wreak and filled with fear and unable to function.....had very serious anxiety attacks and thought I too was going to die....I prayed so hard for His help and in June 2014.....the fear and sickness went away....I did not give up and trusted HIM to see me through this loss...I give GOD all the Praise and Glory for seeing me through.....blind faith indeed!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I'm glad God has healed you! A friend asked me if I had any broken places left and I can honestly say no. But more happen...such is life, but He continues to pick up the pieces along the way.

      Delete