Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Excerpt - A Mom's Battle Cry to Overcome Fear

On Amazon

What are worry, anxiety, and fear stealing from your life?

In this little book, set in an easy seven day format, join one Christian Mom in her battle to overcome fear.

"That night who I was changed forever. What the enemy had meant for evil, in that moment, would be turned around…slowly. I couldn't let someone else suffer as I had due to not speaking up. I had to trust that God would protect us, no matter what I had just gone through. I dialed 911. "

Excerpt: 

From Day Three - Sheep Tipping

I have found that anger is not far away when fear is in my life.  As I have relived these moments in this book with you, fear has been my companion many days again and anger has come on its heels; anger not only at what happened, but in the here and now.  Anger over unreasonable things as fear grasped and clung onto my inward soul.  Trust was waning again.  It separated me and called me to a place no one could visit, not even God as He gently knocked and beckoned me closer.

It wasn’t until towards the end of that year that I realized who I was angry with.  Even though He had tried to keep me from it and then got me through the event, I was angry at God for what happened.  When the realization hit me, I floundered.  Who was I to be mad at the Living God?

Fear of God clutched my heart then.  It was a well-placed fear.  It was a healthy fear. 

Psalm 111:10 states:  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding.   To him belongs eternal praise.

Proverbs 14:26-27 says, Whoever fears the Lord has a secure fortress, and for their children it will be a refuge.  The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, turning a person from the snares of death.

It wasn’t many days after that that I cried out to God, literally aloud as I took a tub one night.  Crying tears over that fateful night, and all that I had lost since, in the course of my living in a place of fear and anger. 

In the Bible, we are described as sheep…the followers of God.  I did some research and found that sheep aren’t particularly intelligent animals.  They also have no sense of direction, so when they wander away from their flock, it’s almost impossible for them to find their way back on their own.  They are helpless; they have no way of defending themselves. 

Luke 15:3-7 reads,  Then Jesus told them this parable:  “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them.  Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it?  And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home.  Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

We are never outside God’s grace.  Jesus will come after us, putting us gently on his shoulders to carry us home.  In the year that I walked away from God, ignoring Him, reminders of Him, and His Word, He pursued me.  He never left me.  I left Him.  I refused to acknowledge Him in my life.

It was like someone had tipped my wooly body over and I couldn’t right myself.  I was askew.  The world looked different.  People gathered and pointed at my flailing legs and growing coat of fleece.  People.  People scared me. 

What are your fears?  Are they fears of man, the spiritual realm, public places, the death of a loved one?  Our fears many times sound foolish to someone else. 

In our nursery class at church, I helped the 3- and 4-year-olds make a planter for Easter with live succulents.  After church, we had some extra plants and my pastor’s wife gave them to me to make a planter with my children at home.  

I was excited.  The kids and I filled the planter with soil, rocks, the succulent plants, and sticks glued together to make the three crosses of Calvary. 

I love and cherish this little planter, but I have anxiety when it comes to house plants.  I envy the beautiful plants that people have in their homes; little green treasures with their sprouts reaching towards the sunlight as they line the back of a kitchen sink. I yearn to snip herbs and smell their fragrance as I cook or clean throughout the day.  The problem I have is that I tend to kill them and so this fear has taken root.

A foothold.

When I look at the planter sitting cheerfully in the center of my kitchen table, my hands fairly itch to run and get the spray bottle full of water.  Am I watering it too much?  Am I not watering it enough?  Fear does grip at me somewhat with this houseplant.  I’ve avoided live plants slowly over the years, as I’ve learned that once they enter my home, they leave in a trash bag. 

How am I ever going to grow little pots of scented flowers and herbs that cheer up my workspace if they cause me such anxiety? 

A foothold becomes a stronghold

----

 
Available on Amazon in Ebook and Paperback:  http://amzn.com/B00CHC0FMC
See Laura's Website HERE for other available books.

No comments:

Post a Comment